Completing Data Collection
The following guide is intended for site leads in the BAHNO Head & Neck Cancer Surveillance Audit. The deadline for data submission will be Sunday the 1st of July. Please use the WhatsApp group or contact your Regional Champion or a member of the Integrate committee if you have a question about the data submission process.
Local collaborator authors
Thanks to some useful work from our trainee collaborative colleagues in other specialties the authorship model has been further defined for collaborative research. This opens things up slightly with the addition of ‘local collaborator’ to that of ‘site lead’. Whilst we would suggest that a larger authorship dilutes the credit attached to each individual collaborator, for units with a large number of cases to submit, we feel it is reasonable that you assign one Local Collaborator to your unit to assist with data submission if required. Please ask the selected individual to register as such on the project page of our website if they wish to be considered for approval as a Local Collaborator.
Please contact your audit and clinical coding department to conduct a search to identify all potential consultations that meet the audit inclusion criteria during both the retrospective and prospective audit windows. There is no centrally dictated way which these should be done as there will be local variation on how such consultations are recorded. If in doubt we would suggest the following simple method which should see that all cases are identified:
- Ask audit/coding dept. to identify all patients with a coded head and neck cancer diagnosisfrom any time period who were seen in an ENT/MaxFac/Oncology clinic appointment (as applicable) during the audit window as a follow-up
- Site leads/local collaborators should then seek further patient information to ascertain whether cases identified do or do not meet the inclusion criteria of the audit
- Data should be extracted from all patients who meet the inclusion criteria and uploaded to the audit response forms. CONSULTATIONS THAT MEET THE INCLUSION CRITERIA BUT DO NOT HAVE A COMPLETED CLINIC PROFORMA SHOULD STILL BE SUBMITTED VIA THE AUDIT RESPONSE FORM.
The audit protocol has all information regarding the audit inclusion criteria. To clarify, this is an audit of post-treatment surveillance. Patients should be excluded from the audit if they were known to have active cancer prior to the index appointment and the consultation was to deliver ongoing supportive care or palliation.
Audit Response Form
Due to journal restrictions on the quantity of missing data acceptable for publications, all sites must submit data on at least 90% of consultations that meet the inclusion criteria. However, this does not mean that 90% of consultations require a completed clinic proforma. The intention of this document was to encourage full data collection and therefore is not essential for consultation data to be submitted. In such cases, please make every effort to find the required information. It becomes very difficult to make use of data from cases where data fields are missing. This can potentially have a significant impact on the quality of the resulting submission.
Before sending the file which you have been using to record the data for the audit, it needs to be encrypted. Please protect the file with the password ‘bahno2018’. The way to do this depends on which version on Excel you are using.
- Excel 2003: Tools > Options > Security > Advanced > Select RC4 Microsoft Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider > Click OK > Enter the password in the box titled ‘Password to open’ > click OK.
- Excel 2007: Office button > Prepare > Encrypt Document > enter and confirm the password
- Excel 2010 & Excel 2013: File > Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with password > enter and confirm the password.
Once data encryption is complete, the following files should be sent by email:
- Encrypted data file
- Evidence of local audit department support
- Evidence of MDT Chair support
- Evidence of Clinical Director support
- Evidence of Caldicott Guardian approval for data sharing
Please ensure to include the name of your hospital in the file name for each of the files, e.g. Evidence of MDT Chair Support – St Elsewhere Hospital. Use the subject line Cancer Surveillance Audit Data and send the files to the following address:
More information about your department
Some further details are required about your department such as the attendees of a typical MDT clinic at your centre. Please complete the following short survey. The survey is available to collaborators who are registered as site leads.